Online Course FAQ
Cedar Valley Firearms Training Basic Pistol Online Course Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. What makes your online course better than the rest?
A. There are SO many reasons but here are my top 10.
- I'm actually FROM Iowa and understand Iowa law. (not from Virginia or Maryland like the other online courses) I CARE about getting you the right information about our laws.
- We actually cover Iowa law in the course. It's the ONLY online class that does! (And you'd better know Iowa law so you don't get caught with a gun where you're not supposed to have it.)
- My course covers material about concealed carry techniques for both men and women, the others don't.
- My course covers what to look for when buying a handgun.
- My course offers printable materials that you can take with you to review.
- I make myself available to my students for questions both by email and by phone during and AFTER you take the course. You won't get a person that was hired to just take phone calls but doesn't really know anything about guns and Iowa law on the line when you call like you do with the other online classes. I'm the only one that takes calls for CVFT!
- All sheriff's accept my course without question! (Some even recommend it!)
- I give my students resources for additional training.
- My course takes longer than an hour to complete. Yes, this is a benefit because I actually offer a LOT MORE FOR YOUR MONEY in my course both in information about carrying a weapon and in resources that you can take with you after the course!
- I have a TON of very satisfied customers! Don't believe me? Check out the Course Testamonials page!
Q. How long will it take me to complete the course?
A. The average time that it takes to complete this course is between 2 and 4 hours if you read all of the articles, watch the videos, and pass the quizzes the first time. The participants that take their time and read through the material carefully actually complete the course quicker than the ones that skim the material and have to retake quizzes multiple times! Once all of the readings, videos and quizzes have been completed, you certificate will be emailed to you or you can download it from the class site.
Q. Why does your course take so long to complete? I can take other online courses in an hour or less!
A. The CVFT Iowa Basic Pistol Course actually covers MORE material than any of the other classes combined! Most of the other online classes offered out there only cover very basic information on handguns (e.g. handgun parts, how to load, ammunition). My course covers all of the basics, but has information about equipment selection, concealed carry techniques, IOWA LAW (none of the others do this), opportunities for more training, resources that you can take with you, and much more!
Q. My sheriff says they will only accept an online class that allows the students of the class to interact with the instructor. Does your class allow for student interaction?
A. Absolutely! You have full access to the actual instructor (Jason Vetter) of this course via email or phone to ask questions about the course materials. The CVFT Basic Pistol Course Online is the ONLY class being accepted by ALL Iowa sheriffs as training to get your Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons!
Q. Are resources provided to find the correct answers for the quizzes?
A. YES! You will read a section of material and then answer questions based on the content from that section.
Q. Will I be able to retake a quiz if I fail?
A. YES! If you do not pass the quiz the first time, you are required to wait a set amount of time to study the material again and then you are given an opportunity to take the quiz again.
Q. Does this course cover the Iowa Permit to Carry law?
A. YES! We do cover the portion of the Iowa code that covers the Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons!
Q. What kind of certification will I get to give to my sheriff?
A. After the instructor has verified that you passed all quizzes, you will receive a "certificate of completion" from CVFT via email.
Q. Can students ask questions within the course if they have one about the content?
A. YES! I give students an email address and a way to contact me by phone within each module should they have a question.
Q. Will the CVFT Iowa Permit to Carry Course count to get an Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons?
A. YES! The CVFT Basic Pistol Course meets the requirements of training by a National and State Certified Firearms Instructor to get your Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons.
Q. Do you have to start and complete the course in one session or can you start, stop, finish later any time in the four week period?
A. You can start and stop the course as many times as you would like during the four weeks you are signed up for the course.
Q. When do I get my certificate?
A. After you have completed the course and received the required score on all quizzes, you will be able to download your certificate from the course. You certificate will also be emailed to you.
Q. How old do I have to be to get my Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons?
A. You have to be 21 years old to get your permit. However, you can take the course up to one year in advance of your 21st birthday.
Q. If I get my Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons, do I still need an Iowa Permit to Purchase Handguns?
A. NO! Your Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons can be used to purchase a handgun and is good for 5 years! You have to get an Iowa Permit to Purchase every year at $10 per year.
Q. How much does it cost to get an Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons?
A. The actual permit costs $50 and is good for 5 years. The CVPR Iowa Basic Pistol Course cost $35 and will meet the training requirements to get your Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons.
Q. What benefits do I get taking this class online rather than face to face.
A. There are lots of benefits to taking my online class. One, you can take your time and learn at your own pace. Two, you can take the class in little chunks. No need to take the whole class at once. Three, you can ask as many questions as you would like. I make myself available to all of my students! And there are many more. Check out what people are saying about the class and what they liked about it on my Course Testimonials page.
Q. I lost my certificate. Can I get you to send me a new one?
A. Yes, but only if I can find proof of you taking the class within the system. I will need the email address that you used when you signed up for the class so I can verify that you took and completed the class. The cost to re-issue a certificate is $25.